SHELL NIGERIA’S IoT SOLUTION REQUIREMENTS:
- Real-time monitoring of different processes throughout the oilfield.
- Two-way communication that not only improved the company’s ability to monitor remotely, but also the ability to perform remote intervention for scheduled maintenance as well as unscheduled incidents.
- Support for the end devices to run solely on battery power only because the remote locations of some equipment made hardwired electrical connections impossible.
- The ability to monitor operations through a local operations center as well as at the company’s headquarters in Europe.
- A system that provided reliability, data integrity and security.
Connectivity was a key factor—how could Shell take advantage of all the IoT has to offer its operations without incurring significant expense in building out infrastructure to support IoT connectivity? Shell needed to make not only a strong technology case for the IoT, but also a strong financial case. Shell evaluated several options, including satellite, SMS and General Packet Radio Service (GPRS). Each of these options required significant infrastructure investment in the form of towers, radios, data communications equipment, battery banks, logistics and installation, making them too expensive.
Upland evaluated several communication technologies to present Shell Nigeria with a solution to replace its manual oilfield data collection processes. The key criteria for selecting a solution were the technology’s ability to cover difficult terrain, power performance, and long-range transmission as well as network scalability, two-way communications, and secure data transmission. Ingenu’s RPMA offered all of these attributes and eclipsed the competition with its connectivity, network capacity, and exceptional value.
A Digital Oilfield
with Huge Savings
The Digital Oilfield (DOF) technology is a combination of IT and automation and instrumentation technologies, providing Shell Nigeria with a real-time view of field processes and the availability of resources, and creating a safer operational environment with the inclusion of remote surveillance.
Ingenu’s RPMA network solution required only four access points to serve the entire Shell Nigeria oilfield.
This resulted in a total project cost savings of more than $1 million over the other IoT alternatives the company evaluated. That is an astounding 92% savings over the next best option.
Ingenu’s RPMA network solution required only four access points to serve the entire Shell Nigeria oilfield, which resulted in a total project cost savings of more than $1 million over the other IoT alternatives the company evaluated. That is an astounding 92% savings over the next best option. Download the Case Study below.
SHELL NIGERIA + RPMA NETWORK RESULTS:
- Improve reporting to its home office and to headquarters
- Enable continuous operations by reducing manual processes and on-site inspections
- Quickly identify and resolve issues, resulting in more efficient operation and safer conditions for employees
- Monitor equipment status in near real-time, preventing unscheduled downtime and safety risks
- Capture and analyze critical production data to further enhance efficiencies
The team of Ingenu, KONČAR and Upland Consulting teamed up to deliver an IoT solution to Shell Nigeria that automated its manual process and created a safer, more secure operational environment. The result: a Digital Oilfield solution at significant cost savings over alternative options.